Saturday, February 23, 2008

saying goodbye, again.

It seems to be a common thing in the past year, saying goodbye.
I said goodbye to my family and freinds in August last year to begin my journey that has taken me half the way around the world to meet many people. I met a few backpackers during my days in oslo, some might say you only get aquaintences in 2 days, but as they left I said goodbye to my freinds.
With that the goodbyes continued.
Meeting new freinds at base, shortly after, bidding farewell to half as we go to different ends of the globe. Meeting more freinds and new families over christmas, for but a breif moment, but long enough to have to say goodbye.

A few days ago on a crystal clear day, the clearest i had seen, I said goodbye to the lake, the frozen covering with snow that flowed like liquid. I said goodbye to sechen, my greatest enemy, the mountain behind the school that reduced me to an out of energy drooling heap of exhaustion. To the Yaks, the goats, the sheep, the locals, the students and their familes that treated us as though they were our familes, goodbye. I left Tibet. The crazy hitchiking, colourful people with their rosy frostbitten cheeks, their big smiles and open hearts, their heart felt welcomes, "Demoo, demoo, demoo, choo demoo!".

It is now, but a memory.
I figure this is the worst kind of goodbye, the one that really means it. All the other times are mearly a short interval in my freindships, a few moments apart in the grand scheme of things, there will be time again in the future to eat, drink and laugh together, to share experiences. I'm not sure if I will get that chance to return, to say g'day to Carl and share a yak dung stove for a little warmth, to eat sumpa and boiled, dried meat off the bone. To meet michael, jason, harry or christina again.

So I guess my memories will have to suffice, that and a load of photos, its great to bve surrounded by camera happy people....

No comments: